- Ford Motor Company grants totaling $250,000 are being distributed to nonprofits near the historic train depot
- Grant recipients proposed sustainable projects that highlight the culture, diversity and legacy of the neighborhoods surrounding Ford’s future innovation and mobility hub
- Ford’s Celebrating Culture and Community Grants Program is part of the $2 million Ford has committed to invest in the community over the next four years
DETROIT, June 14, 2019 — As part of its Celebrating Culture and Community Grants Program, Ford Motor Company is awarding $250,000 this year to support nonprofit projects that reflect the unique culture and history of the neighborhoods surrounding Michigan Central Station.
The grants are tied to Ford’s renovation of the 105-year-old train depot, which will be the centerpiece of a new innovation and mobility hub in Detroit. As part of its commitment to the area, Ford is investing $2 million over the next four years through the Community Benefits Agreement to support a variety of nonprofit projects aimed at bringing innovative programs and opportunities to residents in the community.
Grant recipients were selected based on votes from a panel of judges, as well as approximately 200 local residents and community leaders who attended a special pitch session in late May.
"We want to thank everyone who submitted creative and thoughtful ideas for celebrating the vibrant culture of our neighborhoods," said Pamela Alexander, director, Community Development, Ford Motor Company Fund. "With help from the community, we determined these four proposals represent a diversity of talent and topics. We look forward to seeing the positive impact they will have in the neighborhoods surrounding Michigan Central Station for years to come."
The grantees are:
• S.A.Y. Detroit/Capturing Belief, $85,000 – Build a visual history of the community and mentoring young residents in photography and creative writing
• Heritage Works, $75,000 – Activate community spaces with music, movement, visual and spoken word artists in green spaces, non-traditional venues, existing events and schools
• Matrix Theatre Company, $55,000 – Record first-person accounts, oral histories and cultural perspectives of the rich diversity of people living in the area
• Motor City Street Dance Academy, $35,000 – Engage community members via hip-hop and empower them with the S.E.E.D. Program (Spreading the Elements Everywhere in Detroit)
Grant recipients are expected to complete their projects in 2020. Topics for future grants may include streetscapes and neighborhood beautification; entrepreneurship and job creation; mobility and innovation.
With phase two of the renovation work underway, Michigan Central Station is on its way to becoming a base for thousands of entrepreneurs, innovators, designers, technologists and Ford employees to come together to solve the world’s mobility problems. It will host a mix of office, retail, entertainment, food and hospitality spaces.
Ford expects the renovated train station to be ready for tenants and open to the public once again in 2022.
About Ford Motor Company Fund
As the philanthropic arm of Ford Motor Company, Ford Fund’s mission is to strengthen communities and help make people’s lives better. Working with dealers and nonprofit partners in 63 countries, Ford Fund provides access to opportunities and resources that help people reach their full potential. Since 1949, Ford Fund has invested more than $2 billion in programs that support education, promote safe driving, enrich community life and encourage employee volunteering. For more information, visit www.fordfund.org or join us at @FordFund on Facebook and Twitter.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification, autonomous vehicles and mobility solutions. Ford employs approximately 196,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.