83,989 Volunteer Hours
39,825+ People Served
2020 Nonprofit Projects Application
Ford Community Corps is a unique program of Ford Fund that brings students from a network of colleges and universities together with nonprofit organizations seeking new solutions to issues in the community. Unlike traditional volunteer programs, the Ford Fund matches Ford Community Corps projects with student’s expertise and the skills required by a specific project. The program creates real value for both the students and the nonprofit organizations serving the community.
Students participating in the Ford Community Corps have the opportunity to use skills they develop on campus in a real-world environment. Working under the supervision of a faculty member, they gain valuable insight into career options and are exposed to the role and contributions of corporations in civic life. They see firsthand Ford Fund’s commitment to building sustainable communities and how their own participation makes a difference in the lives of others.
College and University Partner Core Principles
- Matching Interest with Needs: Programs match student talent and knowledge with specific nonprofit needs.
- Learning and Doing in the Community: Projects must be created and implemented in the real world, not just on campus.
- Strategic Service: Projects are developed and implemented over a timeline – they are not one-time volunteer events.
- Linking Academics and Service: Many projects are linked to academic credit and scholarship awards, or build on existing service-learning programs.
- Leveraging Existing Connections: Ford Fund links Ford Community Corps university partners with existing nonprofit partners.
Ford Community Corps Schools
- College for Creative Studies in Detroit
- Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Madonna University in Livonia, Michigan
- Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan
- University of Detroit Mercy in Detroit
- University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Michigan-Dearborn in Dearborn, Michigan
- Wayne State University in Detroit