DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 27, 2019 – For the second year, Ford Motor Company Fund and Michigan Women Forward hosted a business plan and pitch competition to help accelerate the number of female business owners and develop the next generation of women entrepreneurs.
Formerly known as EmpowerHER, the seven-month program provided coaching, mentoring and technical assistance to women wishing to start or grow social venture business. Competitors worked to create a business that helped solve a community need while also becoming sustainable.
Fifteen finalists competed for prizes and impact investments in the following categories:
- Ideation: This category focuses on the creative process of generating, developing and communicating new business ideas.
- Winner: Brittany Rhodes of Black Girl MATHgic
- Launch: This category is for business owners that have started an organization and have been pursuing the work for a while, but need financial support to get it off the ground.
- Winner: Gina Adams of Buttons 2 Button
- Growth: This category focuses on businesses that have the potential to scale significantly in size and revenue.
- Winner: Arielle Johnson of Fierce Detroit
- Audience Choice -- Idea That Will Change The World
- Winner Jeanette Brown of Dutton Farms